Monday, October 3, 2016

Day 1 Cairns to Brisbane

We have had this trip booked for well over twelve months and today saw us travelling the first leg of journey from Cairns to Brisbane.  Our flight from Cairns left at 12.20pm so we gave ourselves plenty of time and left home at 9.30am.  The road between Port Douglas and Cairns is notorious for car accidents that can see the highway closed for many hours so it is always prudent to give yourself plenty of time.  Today, we had no problems and it was a nicely paced journey along the newly named Great Barrier Reef Drive.  
Clothes have been laid out on the bed for quite a few days.  It's amazing how often it's changed!

All packed on spot on 20kg!

Check in at Cairns was easy although we were surprised that we weren't asked for any ID. We waited for our flight in Qantas Club where we enjoyed coffee and cake.  We knew that we would get a meal on board our flight so we didn't want to over indulge.
The flight left right on time and in no time at all we were sitting back and enjoying a glass of wine with a pretzel and cashew mix.  The meal was served about half an hour into our flight.  I chose the tomato soup with sourdough followed by lemon cheesecake.  The soup was totally delicious but so hot that I burnt my mouth on the first mouthful!  The soup was so filling that I didn't end up eating the cheesecake.  

Our plane arrived right on time and from the airport we caught a taxi to  Novotel Airport Hotel.  No-one will be surprised that the taxi fare was a staggering $20 for about a 5km journey!  Bring on Uber I say.
We had arranged to meet my sister and her husband at 4.00pm for drinks followed by dinner.  My sister brought along a lovely bottle of bubbles for her and I to enjoy.  My man drank beer while my brother-in-law stayed with the lighter stuff as he was driving.  It was great to catch up on all the family news over dinner we can't wait to see them both again at christmas.  We all enjoyed our meals.  The men had calamari entree while my sister and I enjoyed pizza bread.  For mains my brother-in-law and I both chose the Lamb, my sister chose the Atlantic Salmon and hubby had the Duck.  We all agreed that they were delicious.  
It wasn't a late night and we were well and truly tucked up in bed by 8.30 and I think I was asleep by 8.32!  

No comments:

Post a Comment