Sunday, January 31, 2016

I'm not a food waster.

In our family food is never wasted.  I usually cook just enough for hubby and I but if the recipe calls for four servings and I can't adjust it, the two leftover portions are used the next day.  We LOVE leftovers in this house.  I made a wombok cabbage salad this week and served it with a pork cutlet. Because I was using up leftover wombok cabbage (from my Kimchi)  the salad ended up being very large, and as it was dressed with a lemon vinaigrette I wondered what it would be like the next day but I can assure you it was even better the second day, this time served with roast chicken.

Recipe: Wombok Cabbage, Raddish, Chilli, Peas, Mint, Parmesan Cheese Lemon Vinaigrette

We love snacking on cold meat.   It can be anything from grilled steak, grilled pork or corned beef and just a little protein can take the edge off your hunger.
If a leftover stays in the fridge too long without being eaten we give it to the dogs.  Our dogs eat what we eat, interspersed with dry food, and that has never changed.  They are very healthy dogs and not overweight.  The big plus is that we never have any vet bills.
I use the freezer a lot for leftovers, particularly cakes, muffins and slices.  I usually freeze half of what I cook and I always have something to pull out of the freezer when unexpected guests arrive.
This week our gardener gave us mangoes from her parents mango farm.  They are huge.  I have made a large batch of fruit salad that we have been devouring but as they are so large one is enough for a fruit salad. They have been sitting on the bench looking at me so today I decided to cut them up and freeze them for use in the middle of the year when mangoes are scarce and overpriced.  Mangoes freeze beautifully so they can be used in mango cheesecake or even muffins.  Of course Mango Daiquiri would also be nice :-)

Huge Mangoes!

Ready for the freezer




No comments:

Post a Comment