Sunday, August 14, 2022

Day 132 Cervantes, WA

 We have eaten out more times in this past week than we have in the past two months.  But, you know, LOBSTER!!  🦞 Today we were both craving some good old fashioned plain food and as it is Sunday it just had to be a Roast.  I had picked up a very well presented rolled beef roast from the butcher in Kalgoorlie and it was time to pull it out of the freezer and in to the oven.  

Speaking of my oven, this is it.




It is super small and compact with just one shelf and boy has it had a workout.  The temperature has to be guess work as it is just a dial with numbers.  Number 7 seems to be my go to number.  This little oven has cooked some food that I would not have thought possible. You might remember the large fruit cake that I cooked in Kalgoorlie that took several hours.  All I have to remember to do is to rotate whatever is in cooking in my oven on a regular basis and pop alfoil over the top if it browns the top too fast. Today I made a ginger slice that was quick and easy and is another "go to" recipe when we are travelling.  


It only takes 15minutes in the oven so as soon as it was cooked in went the roast followed an hour later by the vegetables.  I even had some pretty good browning left in the bottom of the roasting tray to make a gravy.  Is there anything better than properly made gravy with nothing more than the roasty bits, flour, salt and water? I did add a beef stock to the water to give me a little more colour.

While all this cooking was happening I also gave the caravan a good and proper clean including shower, toilet and floors.  Also the bedding was washed and we rotated the mattress that was no mean feat, let me tell you!  

Philip could tell that I needed some me time to complete all these tasks so he took himself on a nice long bike ride.  It is honestly the loveliest day we have had in weeks with a beautiful warm sun and no cloud.  We have been able to open the van windows to air everything out and now it looks and feels very fresh and clean!

I was even able to practice an hour long yoga session this morning. It has been more than a month since the last time I could do that.  You may recall that I injured my back when we were in Port Gregory and all this cold weather has hindered the healing process.  I have never been more grateful for a hot water bottle in all my life 😂. So even though we thought we would do sightseeing today we have had a lovely quiet day doing nothing.  It is Sunday after all......


No comments:

Post a Comment