Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Day 57 Broome, WA

It's turned cold!  We reached a maximum temperature of just 18 degrees and it got down to 12 degrees over night.  We both complained of being cold last night but neither of us reached for the extra blanket so it can't have been that cold, or we were just too lazy.....

So what do you do on a rainy day in Broome?  For me it was finding a hairdresser.  It's been nine weeks since I last set foot inside a hair salon and highlights needed to be re-highlighted.  I found a hairdresser by the name of Trevor and his salon was called "Shaggahs".  Great name hey!   He runs the salon by himself which is no mean feat.  He gave me the perfect colour and just a little trim so I was more than pleased.  I was not, however, pleased with the price.  It was almost double what I pay my hairdresser.  

We were warned by fellow travellers that everything in Broome is very expensive and I am starting to believe it. Diesel prices have increased from $1.96 in Kununurra to $2.36 in Broome.  It seems so strange as you would have thought it would be the other way around with Kununurra being more isolated.  I can only think that Kununurra gets its fuel out of Darwin.  

The tour that we had booked for tomorrow has once again been postponed due to the weather.  We are now booked for Saturday.  Fingers crossed the rain will have disappeared by then.  Tomorrow we are going to wander around the Town Centre.  It looks so interesting, particularly Chinatown.  My hairdresser also said that the Museum is a must see as it gives a good insight into Broome's colourful history.  I am also intrigued by The Sun Picture Gardens that is the world's oldest picture gardens still in operation.  I have booked us seats for Friday to go and see Top Gun, Maverick - Tom Cruises latest movie.

My laptop is now back in my hands and the technicians couldn't find anything wrong with it.  It's a relief but also a worry. Why was it overheating?  Anyway, they suggested I go to K-Mart and purchase a laptop stand with fans to see if that helps.  It was cheap at $15 and it actually feels great having the laptop elevated a little.  It feels better on the wrists and if it keeps my laptop cool, well it's a win/win.



(Just remember "Laptop not Included" 😂😂😂)

We, once again, ate in, and today Philip grilled some Pork Chops on the Barbie and I tossed a very quick salad together with Mixed leaves, Pomegranate, Feta, and pecans that I had caramelised earlier today.  The very tart lemon dressing was also the perfect salad dressing to cut through the sweetness of the pecans.


It's time for me to have a shower and see if I can watch the news.  There is still a lot of cloud cover so I'm not hopeful.  I will be interested to hear more about the Horizontal Falls accident last week.  Philip seems to think that the boat must have slammed into the rocky cliff face because the boat didn't overturn and no-one fell out of the boat, but most people on board had some sort of injury and some more severe than others.   I hope that the relevant government agencies complete their enquiries into the cause as quickly as possible and get the tour up and running again.  It would be devastating for the tourism industry to see the tour shut down.


No comments:

Post a Comment