Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Day 58 Broome, WA

 The day started out sunny, enough to take a nice long walk, but by the time we arrived home and had eaten breakfast, the clouds were once again rolling in from the west.  It wasn't going to worry our plans though as we were going to wander through the Broome Town Centre and then on to the museum.  The museum however did not eventuate as it is only open from 10am to 1pm and our intention was to go there this afternoon.  We will go another day.

I really like the town centre of Broome.  It is quite a small centre at just two streets long and three streets wide but that makes it very easy to navigate.  It has been magnificently landscaped and the parking in the centre of the street is unlike anything I have seen before. Parking is on two sides of a median strip that runs up the middle of the street, if you get my drift. Once you park your car you walk up the centre of the strip until you come to a pedestrian crossing.  It is very safe for pedestrians and works a treat.

There are some great sculptures scattered throughout the centre depicting life as it was when Broome was just a fledgling town. The Chinese probably had the greatest influence in the area and there are many buildings and alleyways named after them.  Even the open air cinema in Chinatown was first owned and operated by the Yamasaki family.  







We found a museum dedicated to the pearling luggers with two large luggers sitting proudly in the grounds.  I couldn't believe how small they were and shuddered at the thought of life on board those ships.  No wonder so many lives were lost on those luggers at sea.  Our tour to one of the pearling farms is tomorrow so we will no doubt learn a little more about the industry and history.



Most if not all of the buildings in the town centre are cyclone proofed with iron shutters covering windows.  (Philip says it is to stop theives but I prefer to not think like that. 😁) Living on the east coast of Australia we don't really hear too much about cyclones on the west coast but I have no doubt they get their fair share.  

There are a lot of shops selling pearls but as I know very little about what to look for in a pearl, we bypassed all those shops.  To tell the truth I am not a great lover of pearls for myself but I love how other women wear them.  I'm more of a diamond girl myself πŸ˜‰.

I'm still trying to empty some of the food out of my freezer (I think I have an addiction for buying goods that need freezing) so we had lunch at home.  Today was a chicken (from the freezer πŸ˜‚) and bacon fried rice.  I think fried rice has to be one of my top ten favourite dishes and I know Philip loves it to.  It's such an easy dish to prepare, particularly if you have leftover rice, which I did.

Well folks, that's it for another day.  I will have a more interesting blog to write tomorrow after our tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment