Friday, May 20, 2022

Day 46 Kununurra, WA

I had a VERY slow start to the day after yesterdays VERY long day.  We were tucked up in bed by 8.30 and I was sound asleep by 8.32!  Of course I was awake again at 3.30am.........

I needed a yoga practice so that was the lovely way to start my day and Philip decided on a long walk to Diversion Dam.  When we had both finished our respective exercise we had a light breakfast and hung out a load of washing.  I find it is easier to do a load of washing a day and then it doesn't become a big deal where you have multiple loads.  

Life in the van is great and we keep adapting and changing things to suit us.  I am continually looking for extra space and always seem to find it in the strangest places.  My rolled up yoga mat has finally found a home at the back of our small wardrobe.  I couldn't find a place for it originally and had it sitting on the floor under the table.  My baby crock-pot found itself at home at the back of a cupboard that had an empty area.  It's perfect there because it is something that is not used everyday.  Philip hasn't changed any of his storage because he is a creature of habit 😁

After breakfast and chores we got into the car for a drive around the Ord Irrigation area that we could see clearly from the air yesterday.  We travelled to the north and downstream from Diversion Dam.  There is a heck of a lot of Sandalwood planted here and I'll be interested to find out it's uses, apart from smelling great!  We have another tour lined up for tomorrow so I will ask the question.

We drove around for about an hour before heading back into Kununurra to visit the Kimberley Fine Diamond store where they have an extensive range of pink diamonds.  Boy oh boy, are they expensive!  You are looking at around $100,000 for a diamond that you can at least see - maybe a quarter of a carat if you are lucky.  Some of the ones on display are only just slightly bigger than a pinhead!  We spoke to a lovely salesperson who is passionate about the pink diamonds and she said that in the last ten years they have increased in value by 10% each year.  We talked a little about the Argyle mine that closed in 2020. It didn't close because there weren't any diamonds. It closed because it became too expensive to mine them when they had to go underground.  Rio Tinto has now given the land back after it's lease expired but I would not be surprised if Rio Tinto did a bit of exploring in the area and opened up a new mine in coming years.  The country, from the air, simply looks like it could be full of diamonds!

After my drooling over diamonds, we went and shopped a bit of fruit and a few essentials from Coles.  I'm trying not to buy too much food as my freezer is full and we need to get it down!  We had Spaghetti Bolognese from the freezer for lunch today but the freezer is still packed to the brim....

This afternoon we watched a little Netflix and then after that a few games of Sequence. We play the best of three games and I actually won two today.  It is usually the other way around.

I don't have any photos from today but I edited our GoPro footage from yesterday and put together a reel so without further ado may I present, the Bungle Bungles.........



No comments:

Post a Comment