Monday, June 27, 2022

Day 84 Coral Bay, WA

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I could do what I did today and that was to snorkel through coral reef and see the most beautifully coloured fish imaginable, but I did it!  The reason I could do it is because the coral reef here at Coral Bay is just meters from the shoreline at low tide.   



Low tide at the moment is around 4.30 pm but we ate an early lunch and were down at the waters edge by 2.00pm.  The sun still had enough heat in it to make the water bearable but I donned my new wetsuit and was very comfortable gliding through the water.  I really like the full face snorkel mask but I had to ditch the fins and opted to use the pool noodle.  I've never swum with fins and I just could not get the hang of them and I think it was because I was content to stay in almost one spot and just let the fish swim around me.  The fish were all different sizes ranging from tiny little fish about as long as my little finger to fish around arms length long and all sporting every colour in the rainbow with spots, stripes and plain vibrant colours.  There was an electric blue fish around two inches long that I was particularly enthralled with.  They swam in schools of around thirty to forty. The coral has very little colour but what it lacks in colour it makes up for in size.  The coral here at Coral Bay are every shape and size. 

Tomorrow we are booked on a Turtle Spotting tour and it is something else I am excited about.  Turtles are one of my very favourite things and I hope we get to snorkel with them.  The tour is only three hours so we will get back in plenty of time to have another snorkel in the bay tomorrow afternoon.  We also intend to kayak these calm waters of Coral Bay at high tide on another day. I can see how our time here is going to pass all too quickly.

The bread maker still gets a good workout on this trip and I made an apple bun loaf for a bit of a sweet treat.  The bun loaf itself is not too sweet so the addition of the icing was the perfect topping.



No comments:

Post a Comment