Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Day 78 Karratha, WA

It's certainly a lot cooler here in the past couple of days with the wind giving that extra chill factor.  But by midday the wind has dropped and the temperatures have soared to around 30 degrees.  Layered clothing is the key.  Speaking of clothing, I didn't bring much in the way of winter clothes just my puffer jacket that is  certainly not needed yet and my trusty denim jacket.  So I suggested to Philip that we take the short drive to Karratha's shopping centre for a bit of retail therapy.

But first I wanted to wander the streets.  I really like Karratha.  It is trendy but not overstated.  The landscaping around the town gives it an almost tropical feel with its frangipani trees that flower year round, spider lilies, and birds of paradise.  The outdoor eating areas look very inviting with wine and tapas bars and quite a few restaurants with a variety of cuisines. The buildings in the city area are also visually attractive and blend in beautifully with the surrounds.  




The streets are not busy but the Karratha Shopping Centre carpark was near capacity.  I walked past this sign on the back of vehicle on the way to the entrance of the shopping centre.  Wanted. Grey Nomad woman with her own everything.......


Once inside the shopping centre it felt like any other.  The same shops seems to be in every shopping centre.  K-Mart, Coles, Woolworths, Just Jeans, Chemist Shop and Reject Shop.  I wandered into K-Mart first and picked up a pair of winter pjs, and one light sweater and another slightly heavier all for the princely sum of $37.  I love that about K-Mart.  The price on the tag is always cheaper at the check-out 😜.

While I was shopping Philip had coffee at Jamaica Blue.  We had walked by Lo's Coffee Shop on our walking tour that is apparently the best coffee in Karratha but it was a bit too early for coffee so we said we would go back later and then completely forgot to go back!

After the retail therapy it was a trip to IGA for a few items that turned into many items.  It was one of the best IGA's I have ever had the pleasure to visit.  It was neat and tidy and the vegetable display was above and beyond any other.  I wish I had thought to get a photograph. I saw someone packing some of the vegetables into a compartment and asked if he was the manager.  He said he was and I congratulated him on his shop.  I think I might have made his day but he deserved a pat on the back.

We had quite a late lunch of Spaghetti Agile E Olio that is simply Angel Hair Pasta, Fresh Toasted Breadcrumbs, Onion, Garlic, Chilli Flakes, Parsley, Thyme, Parmesan, Lemon Zest and Juice tossed together with lots of olive oil.  It has to be my favourite pasta.

So this is our last day in Karratha and tomorrow we once again pack the van and continue heading in a southerly direction to the coastal town of Onslow.  It is just over 300 km so we should arrive just after lunch.  






No comments:

Post a Comment