Saturday, October 8, 2022

Day 187 Porongurup, (Bluff Knoll), WA

One of the toughest hikes in Australia is Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Range National Park.  I have read about, and looked at, all the amazing photos that are taken from the peak, and knew I would never be able to reach that summit.  But not so my husband.  His determination to conquer is inspiring and he proved to me today what determination can achieve.  I wish that I had that winning determination - the will to conquer - but I'm afraid it is just not in my genes.  Philip however has competitiveness by the bucket load.

The drive to Bluff Knoll takes us around 30 minutes and we are following the same road we drove along a couple of days ago when we took the Stirling Range tourist drive.  It is a much better day today though with lots of sunshine.


The Bluff Knoll Road is around eight kilometres further along than the turnoff we took on Thursday.  The first glimpse of Bluff Knoll leaves us speechless.  It stands at over 1000 metres and dwarfs everything else around it.  The sheer granite cliff face is incredibly majestic.

From the turnoff it is another eight kilometres to the base carpark.  The road is very steep in parts but we are somewhat relieved that we have driven to a height that makes the mountain a little more achievable.  There are so many cars in the carpark therefore many more hikers.   The national park ranger is checking that people have paid their entrance fee that is paid before you enter the national park and we are once again grateful that we purchased an annual national park pass - that is displayed on our windscreen - at Kalbarri.  The ranger gives us a thumbs up. There were devastating fires that raged through the national parks in the south west of Western Australia last year and a lot of the trails were damaged significantly.  Bluff Knoll was directly in the firing line and the government has spent more than $200,000 repairing and upgrading the three kilometre trail and the new viewing platform is of exceptional quality.

After a quick check that we had water and rain jackets in case the weather turned bad (unlikely) we started making our way along the path.  It is a little disconcerting that we have to walk downhill for a distance before finally making our way up.  

The wildflowers here are unlike any that I have seen in our travels and I am soon distracted by taking photographs with Philip standing by patiently.  We make the unanimous decision that Philip should head off on his own today and I will walk as far as my body will allow.  It was a very good decision as it turned out.


I stupidly had left my walking pole in the car and by the time I realised that I had left it behind I was well into my walk and didn't want to start all over again.  This was a determining factor as to how far I could walk because the path is very steep and so many many steps!  I walked a third of the way and then decided to turn back.  I had walked very slowly and stopped many times to take photographs and if I did have my walking pole I could possibly have walked another 500 metres or so.....maybe.  My turnaround point was at a very steep part of the walk.





A lot of the hikes that we have walked over the years do not offer much in the way of views until you reach the summit, this walk though was extraordinary in that it offered remarkable views all the way to the summit.  The sad thing is that you really can't convey in photographs just how magnificent the views are. It is something you have to see for yourself.





I walked for just over an hour and when I returned to the viewing platform I realised that I could follow Philips progress on the "Find My" app on my iPhone.  I was stunned to find that he was almost to the summit!  OMG!  From the viewing platform I can just make out people walking along the track and they are literally the size of ants. 



I sent a text message to Philip who immediately returned my call.  He was exhilarated (pre-emptive text wanted to say exhausted 😁) and I was so so excited for him.  It had taken him 84 minutes to reach the summit that is also a very fast time considering his age 😂😂.  He told me to go and get a coffee somewhere as he would see me in a couple of hours.  Really! As if.

I followed him on the app all the way back down the mountain and was there to take a photo of him as he walked the final steps and of course the obligatory selfie had to be taken.  



No smiles in the selfie unfortunately.  He told me that was because he was dying to have a pee!!!  Nowhere private to stop along that track as there are people coming and going in all directions.  I asked how many hikers where at the summit and he guessed somewhere between 30 - 40.  A big pat on the back to all of them.  Oh, yes I have to mention the three hikers that I met on my way up as they were heading down. They were aged between 40 - 60 and they were RUNNING down the (steep) mountain with their double hiking poles supporting them.  Incredible.

Philip took the GoPro with him and not for the first time on this trip we have congratulated ourselves on the purchase.  There is nothing like a video to show it as it is.  Here it is for your enjoyment........





No comments:

Post a Comment