Thursday, July 6, 2023

Day 2 Nome to Koumala

 Koumala, around 30km south of Salina, is a tiny little town with a population of around 800.  There is no supermarket but it does have a post office.  Koumala has a pub that I figure would be the town hub and I hear they serve a pretty decent Barra burger and nice cold beers. We didn't partake.


Once we had settled into the van park, that is very neat and tidy, we went for a wander around the township that is about four blocks square.  


There are two old churches.  One is now a residential building but the other looks like it is still used for its original purpose.  They remind me of the church where my mum grew up at Springside near Pittsworth.

There is a CWA building in the Main Street and by the look of the sign attached to the building the local pub is a great supporter of this worthwhile cause.
So that is Koumala in a nutshell.  Tomorrow we move further south and hope to get to Benaraby for our overnight stop.  Bernaraby is south of Rockhampton and it's close to the town of Gladstone.  We would normally stop at Tannum Sands but now that our friends no longer live there it has lost its appeal.

Last night we had dinner at the Black Barra Bar and Cafe that is attached to the van park where we stayed.  The menu was interesting (I mentioned it in yesterdays post) and I ended up choosing the Grilled Emu while Philip stayed with a Beef Fillet.  It tasted very nice and not at all "gamey" but it needed a sauce.  As Manu from My Kitchen Rules would say "where is ze sauce!" .  I loved my pre-dinner cocktail that was a concoction of Gin, Mulberry, Elderflower and simple syrup, but anything that has mulberries included is high on my list.


Philips Eye Fillet with potato Gallette

My Emu dish on a bed of pickled red cabbage with a macadamia crumb


It was a lovely night in a gorgeous setting and a place we will most definitely return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment