Sunday, February 15, 2015

Valentines Day Recap

Valentines Day has never meant all that much to Philip and I.  We don't really need a special day of the year to show each other how much we love each other, but that's just us.  Nevertheless, when we received a flyer in the mail advertising a Valentines Day special at our local tavern we were keen.


After yoga on Thursday, and over coffee, we all talked about Valentines Day and decided to book a table at the Tavern for 16.  If you are going to "do" Valentines Day what a nice way to do it....with friends.


Philip and I had already decided what we would choose from the menu for dinner.  First course Oysters Kilpatrick,  second course Crispy Skinned Salmon and for desert Philip chose the Chocolate Tart and I chose the Pannacotta.  The conversation around the table was lively as we waited for our first course to be brought out which didn't take long at all.


The oysters were fantastic....nice and plump and certainly not overcooked which can happen sometimes with Kilpatrick.  I had eaten all but one before I realised that I had not taken a photograph!

Next course was the Crispy Skinned Salmon, that to me was a disappointment.  The skin was certainly not crispy.  As I looked around the table a lot of us had removed the skin that was very soft.  I like my salmon to be slightly under done and to have a line of pink through the middle.  Unfortunately it was cooked for too long and was very dry.  The accompaniments, however, were delicious......Proscuitto wrapped asparagus with crispy potatoes and a delicious lemon chive sauce.  I could have had more of the sauce because it was very tasty.


Dessert was fabulous.  They looked beautiful on the plate and they did not disappoint in taste.  Philip and I, as usual, shared our desserts with each other and decided that they were a tie for flavour although I thought the chocolate coated extra large cherries and the peanut brittle on the plate beside the Chocolate Tart made it the winner.



It was a lovely night at the Highlander Tavern at Julatten but in fact good food with good company can never be bad.







4 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy Judy! Glad you had a nice time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania! We are very lucky that we have lovely friends to enjoy these nights with.

      Delete
  2. Looks Yummy Judy! Glad you had a nice time!!!!

    ReplyDelete