Sunday, September 8, 2019

Multiple Birthday Celebrations

It was my 62nd birthday last month and being the foodie that I am, I had to celebrate it by eating out.  The first meal was on my actual birthday and we had a birthday lunch at Salsa Restaurant and Bar in Port Douglas.  The food here is always good and well deserves the reputation that it has.  The barman made me a champagne cocktail that was so good that I could have drunk a bucketful but commonsense prevailed and I limited it to just one!
First course was jalapeño poppers stuffed with pulled pork and for seconds both Philip and I chose the Mackerel that was the chefs pick.  Both courses were both delicious and filling so no dessert needed.  Instead I had one more glass of bubbles.



When we arrived home Philip presented me with my birthday present, a bottle of Ink Gin.  He made me a gin and tonic and decorated it with flowers from the garden.  Isn't this so pretty....



The next birthday celebration meal was at Harrisons Restaurant at the Sheraton Restaurant in Port Douglas.  One a month for six months, Harrisons bring two well known chefs to Port to cook for the Chefs in Paradise degustation series. For the August dinner (number 4) we had Chefs Ben Williamson and Jake Nicholson cook us some very tasty food.
Philip and I and four other friends booked into the Sheraton for the night as we knew that with matching wines served with the various courses we would not want to drive home.


Every single course, for my taste, were perfect and I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite but if I really had to it would have been the Raw Scallop, cultured goats milk, black sesame, mint and charred cucumber.  It was so refreshing on the palate and a perfect first course. My next favourite would have been Shish Barak (lamb dumplings, fermented chilli, burnt butter, pine nuts and almonds, mint, chick peas). Wow. There was so much going on in this plate and every bite was a taste sensation. Oh. I forgot to mention the Scampi toast that was served to us as a starter.  Another beautiful bite of loveliness.





We are booked again for the last of the series in October when Chefs Ben O'Donohue and Massimo Mele will be treating us to some delicious meals. I can hardly wait......

No comments:

Post a Comment