Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Yellow Tear Drop Tomatoes

A couple of years ago I was given a tomato bush.  The lady that gave it to me said that it was a yellow tomato and that it was quite vigorous.  I planted it straight away and was rewarded in a short time with delicious Yellow Tear Drop tomatoes.  It is indeed vigorous.  Wherever a tomato falls onto the ground a plant pops up so I will never be short of them!
For some reason harvesting my produce is always put on the back burner, consequently when I do harvest I have an excess. I pick an ice-cream container full at least once a week so I have been trying to find recipes to use them.  I love these semi-dried little gems.  They are delicious on a cracker with a bit of cheese or chopped up and tossed through pasta or with the addition of a little chopped onion, avocado,coriander and lime juice make a lovely salsa.  Today I am making a roasted tomato sauce for pizza bases.  It is smelling delicious and I will take a photo when it is made, but for now, here are the photos of the semi-dried tomatoes.

I started off with an ice-cream container of tomatoes which I washed and de-stemmed.
Then I cut them in half, added garlic cloves, thyme and rosemary and drizzled with olive oil.

They then got roasted in a very slow oven for about three hours.
And Viola'.  Beautiful semi-dried tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment