The Paronellas invited everyone to movies on Saturday nights, built tennis courts from crushed termite mounds and a pavilion with turret topped balconies, refreshment rooms and changing cubicles for swimmers.
Tragically in 1946 a mass of logs from a clearing upstream swept away a railway bridge that descended on the park, destroying the refreshment rooms. Undaunted, the Paronellas replanted gardens, repaired what they could and re-opened 6 months later.
Jose passed away in 1948 leaving his wife and son and daughter to continue with the running of the park until 1977 when it was sold. In 1979 a fire swept through the castle leaving only the walls and turret as a reminder of what had been. In 1986 cyclone Winfred tested the Parks endurance once again. In 1993 the current owners rediscovered the almost lost park and envisaged reviving Jose's dream and in 2009 saw the refurbishment of the original hydro turbine which once again provides power for the entire park.
Sadly two more Cyclones struck the Park, Larry in 2006 and Yasi in 2011 once again testing the resilience.
Paronella Park is eco-certified and heritage listed. Efforts today focus on maintaining the property while staying true to its historic and eco values. A number of ongoing restoration and preservation projects will see the Paronella Park story live on for many years to come.
|The Refreshment rooms and Fountain overlooking the Tennis Courts|
|Looking from the bridge down to the Picnic Area and the Castle above.|
|Looking to Mena Creek Falls, Picnic Area and the Castle|
|The Picnic Area. Behind is the Grand Staircase leading down from the Castle above|
|Almost every path has a view of the Falls|
|The Grand Staircase|
|Mena Creek Falls and the Hydro Power Station on the right|
|The Swing Bridge over Mena Creek|
|The Tennis Court Refreshment Rooms and Fountain at night|
|Mena Creek Falls, Swing Bridge and Hydro Station at night|