Thursday, December 8, 2022

Days 246, 247, 248, Home!!!

After 21,6558 kilometres, and just over eight months on the road, we are home.  The memories we have of the places we have visited will remain with us for the rest of our lives.  My blog has been my "virtual" diary and I refer back to it often to refresh the memory.  I will certainly be writing again when we do the east coast states starting in July next year.
After we left Hydeway Bay we drove through to Lucinda Point.  We had intentions of stopping in Townsville but I started feeling unwell with a gastro bug, and didn't want to pass it on to our friends, one of whom has a very compromised immune system.  Lucinda Point was a nice surprise.  The caravan park was well appointed with big spacious sites.  As we seen over the past month, there was hardly any other vans here.  I guess that will change when school holidays commence.  I was feeling well enough at to take the suggested walk to the fishing jetty.  To get to the jetty you have to cross over the huge conveyor belt and Philip reckoned he could feel it rumble under his feet.  The conveyor belt, carrying sugar, stretches  5.6km out to the waiting ships and in fact it is the longest jetty in the Southern Hemisphere.


The fishing jetty that sits in the shadow of Hinchinbrook Island is well utilised by the locals.  Many fisherman were lined up to try and hook their dinner.  The jetty is also where the car ferry leaves for Palm Island that surprised us.  There is also a passenger ferry that leaves from Townsville.

By the time we walked (very fast!) back to the van I was feeling very unwell and I haven't really come good as yet.  
I slept all the way from Lucinda to Port Douglas and was no company for my husband.  However we were parked up in the van park in Port Douglas by 1.00pm so it wasn't a long day.  As soon as we had set up the van I climbed up on the bed and went back to sleep while Philip went to the storage shed to put the battery back in my little Suzuki.  It didn't even need charging, that was a relief.  By the time Philip got back, I decided to go to the local chemist and see if I could get some medication.  The chemist said that it is now recommended that diarrhoea be just allowed to run its course.  She said to take Nurofen for the fever and to keep hydrated.  
So that brings us to today.  I still have the gastro and as this is the third day, if it persists tomorrow I will try and get appointment with the doctor. Don't like my chances though...
It is good to be home and the Coral Sea really turned it on for us today.  I wish I had taken photos 😩. We have seen some magnificent oceans, and I still say Western Australia has the best, but the Coral Sea runs a close second.....

No comments:

Post a Comment