Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Port Douglas Carnivale

My camera club became "Official Photographers" of Carnivale for 2015.  What a challenge but also a tremendous recognition of just how good our club photographers really are.  We had to cover as many Carnivale events as possible over the ten days that the festival runs.  I was in Townsville for the first weekend of Carnivale so didn't get to photograph all the beach events but looking at the photos from the other club photographers, well, I want to be there next year!  
When we arrived back from Townsville we loaded up the camper,  or "Tardis" as we have nicknamed it, and on Monday last week we booked into the Tropic Breeze Caravan Park for the week.  It was the best thing I could have done.  Not only was I within walking distance of most events to be photographed, but I also had somewhere to go and "veg out" in between events.  Of course not having to drive up and down the range was also a bonus.  Philip drove down for a couple of nights to help with the "housekeeping" of the Tardis.....emptying the grey water tank.......emptying the toilet cassette...... refilling the water tank.
I rostered myself on for just about every event at Carnivale (plus a few more) and I am so pleased that I did.  I was lucky enough to have our photography club mentor all to myself at a couple of functions and the knowledge I received from him was invaluable.  A lot of the photography was people shots so I really had to step out of my comfort zone to ask people if they would mind being photographed for Carnivale.  I think I only received one rejection.  Most folks love having their photo taken.
I am home now, tired and weary, but very grateful for the opportunity that our club had of being official photographers for Port Douglas Carnival 2015.

Street entertainment by Alessandra

Modele 15 - a fashion parade like no other

Belly Dancing at Port Village

The Today Show crew where filming at Carnivale

Radiant Life Festival.

Hoola Hoop workshop at Radiant Life Festival

Chandon Lunch at the fabulous Zinc Restaurant

Owner of Zinc Restaurant - Marco Piat

Seafood Extravaganza at the Marina


No comments:

Post a Comment