Monday, August 2, 2021

A recipe that just works.

I picked up two small crumbed pork rolls stuffed with cream cheese, bacon and spinach when I was at the butcher last week and I was trying to think of an accompaniment.  I knew that the rolls would be filling so a salad was the perfect side.  I happened to stumble on this recipe and with its's hint of moroccan spices and ingredients I thought it would work.  Can I tell you it did work and it will certainly be on high rotation  in this household.  So without further ado may I present........

BABY SPINACH SALAD WITH DATES AND ALMONDS courtesy of https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk

Ingredients:

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced

100g pitted Medjool dates, quartered lengthways

30g unsalted butter

2 tbsp olive oil

2 small pitas, about 100g, roughly torn into 4cm pieces (I used small tortillas)

75g whole unsalted almonds, roughly chopped (I used slivered almonds)

2 tsp sumac

1/2 tsp chilli flakes

150g baby spinach leaves

2 tbsp lemon juice 

salt

Method:

Put the vinegar, onion and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well with your hands. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes then drain any residual vinegar and discard.

Meanwhile heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium frying pan. Add the pita and almonds and cook them on a medium heat for 4-6 minutes, stirring all the time until the pita is crunchy and golden brown.  Remove from the heat and mix in the sumac, chilli and 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside to cool.

When you are ready to serve, toss the spinach leaves with the pita mix in a large salad bowl. Add the dates and red onion, remaining olive oil, lemon juice and another pinch of salt. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.


You could serve this salad with roasted chicken or lamb chops or simply have it on it's own on Meatfree Monday.  Your choice. Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment