Sunday, December 9, 2018

It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas......

It's just two weeks until the first of our Christmas guests arrive and I'm feeling just a little bit excited/nervous!  Excited to see the family but nervous at how busy it will be with all the cooking.  Fortunately for me my daughter in law is very proficient in the kitchen so I will be delegating. Something I'm not very good at :-(
To me it is not Christmas without a Ham, Turkey (it used to be chicken) and Pork.  I've already ordered these three things and have intentions of preparing everything on Christmas Eve.  The ham will be already glazed and I will set the alarm early on Christmas morning to pop it in the oven so that we can have ham and eggs for breakfast.  My DIL makes a smashing Passionfruit & Champers cocktail that we will also have for breakfast.....just one glass for the cook!
Lunch is Roast Pork and Turkey with all the trimmings.  I found some great recipes in last months Better Homes and Gardens magazine so I will be following that to the tee.  After lunch it is a nap for some and lazing by the pool for others.  I bought the Catch Phrase game a couple of months ago so maybe we will play a game or two.  We shall go with the flow.
For Boxing Day our son has invited a few friends around for a BBQ lunch.  The men will do the cooking and I shall simply prepare a large tossed salad and potato dish.  Of course we will also have plenty of cold cuts so that will also be on a platter.
I don't do much in the way of decorating for Christmas.  When our Christmas tree fell apart a couple of years ago I never replaced it.  Now I just "throw" some tinsel and baubles at a tree (not a christmas tree) that I bought at the "cheap shop".




I love fairy lights and they adorn the front of our verandah and anywhere else I can put them.  I rather like this christmas tree string...


I spent a ridiculously short amount of time making a Christmas wreath to hang at the front door.  I had stumbled across someone making one from Magnolia leaves and as I have three Magnolia trees I decided to give it a go.  I already had the framework that my gorgeous gardener had made into a
Christmas wreath many years ago so it was just a matter of threading the branches through the frame. I also used Budlea and Grevillea flowers and then, once again, threaded fairy lights through the garland.



 Next week I have three Pre-Christmas parties, one that I am hosting, so it's going to be busy.  But hey, isn't that what Christmas is all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment