Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Dutchmans Stern, Quorn, SA

 This morning was glorious.  It was cold, but not unbearably cold so it was perfect for us to hike the Dutchman's Stern that starts around 10km from Quorn.  I had found this hike on the All Trails App and had done a lot of research.  It is described as a Class 3 hike (moderate) with a distance of 10.6km that is suitable for most levels of fitness.  It is a rocky path with an incline to the summit but not steep.  It sounded perfect.

I must admit when we arrived at the start of the hike and I looked up to where we would be hiking to the summit it took my breath away.  It was certainly a long way to the top! 830 metres to be precise. Our walk did not begin great though as we had walked around 500m and I realised that I did not have my hiking pole!  My DH, the great man that he is, offered to walk back to the car and get it for me.  God I love this man!


The ascent starts right at the beginning of the hike and we ascend more than 400 metres.  The hike is beautiful beyond belief with views out over the Flinders Ranges and the Quorn township.  The path is very rocky and narrow (single file) but never did I feel that the ascent was beyond me.  We came across a mob of mountain goats but as soon as they sensed us they were off into the scrub. It seemed no time at all when we reached the first lookout - Terrace Viewpoint.

We continue our upward journey towards the summit.  The vegetation is so diverse.  We see Golden Wattle, Sheoaks, Sugar Gum and so many lovely wildflowers adorn our path.

We stop numerous times to photograph the amazing scenery.  The Flinders Ranges are a perfect backdrop.  It is a long way down to the bottom now and I am amazed that we have come so high but our height at the summit will be 820m. Still a way to go.


We finally make it!  I can't describe the feeling.  It is like being on top of the world!  We can see Port Augusta with all its wind turbines and in the far distance we glimpse the Spencer Gulf.  Below us are the undulating mountains that have so many tracks criss crossing them.....a four wheel drivers dream!  The Flinders Ranges are to the North and East of us.  It is simply beautiful.  We sign our names in the visitors logbook that is in a box at the Summit and are proud of our achievement. 




From here it is all downhill.  This is actually the hardest part for me as my knees scream but we walk slowly and sure footed and my hiking pole is invaluable.  The scenery as we descend is so different and at times the path becomes very narrow and hugs the side of the mountain.  It is a loooong way to the bottom and Philip said it is the only time he had vertigo.  It tried not to think about a wrong foot on this section and just kept my head down.


But once we have passed this section the path becomes much easier and more wide open.  It is here we spot numerous kangaroos that are not one bit frightened of us.  It is great that this is a conservation area and these animals do not feel threatened.  We stop for lunch when we have around three kilometres to go.  We had been keeping an eye out for a good place to pull up and lo and behold we come across a seat that I'm sure is built specifically for this purpose.  Lunch never tasted so good but it is also hard to get going again after sitting.  My legs are really heavy now as we walk the last three kilometres back to the car.  Surprisingly we also have another couple of uphills that my body does not like but they are short and not steep.  When we come to the crossroads where our loop hike began I am relieved knowing that we only have another kilometre to go.  When I see the car in the carpark I am very happy!

It really was a great hike.  My body is feeling it tonight but a hot shower helped.  We have many more hikes in front of us as we drive further into the Flinders Ranges. Will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment