Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Day 7 Karumba

 We woke quite early again this morning and it was quite frustrating as we are not packing up today.  I had read something the previous evening about a boardwalk from Karumba Point to Karumba Town, a distance of 3.8km each way.  I suggested to Philip that as we were awake we may as well check it out.  The walk started out very pleasantly but then we hit the mudflat.  It was stickier than the black soil that we had at Julia Creek and I thought that was the stickiest of them all!  It really was quite a trudge through the flat but when we got to the other side we found a spot to clean the bottom of our shoes and set off again.......to another mud flat!  Trudge, trudge again.  This flat was even longer than the last.  Once again we got to the other side, cleaned the shoes and set off again.  Thankfully there were only two flats but we knew that we had to face both of them on the way back 😞😞😞





Apart from those damn mud flats it was a very pleasant walk with a lovely breeze blowing gently enough to keep us cool.  The walk ended up being around 10km because we got a little lost at the beginning and walked a couple of kilometres before we realised we were on the wrong path!

Once we were back at camp we showered, breakfasted, and caught up on a spot of housekeeping.  I had purchased a piece of pickled pork from the Julia Creek Butcher so I boiled that for lunch to give us this meal and cold meat for a couple more.  I boiled some peeled carrots and potatoes together and when they were cooked I mashed them roughly and added some baby spinach that needed using.  I added lots of butter and cream.  It was delicious and a very easy one pot side dish.  I also made a cheesy white parsley sauce to go with the corned meat.  You just can not have corned meat without white sauce 😁

We rested after lunch and enjoyed sitting outside in the afternoon.  We had another game of Sequence and once again Philip flogged the britches off me. I just can't seem to get the hang of the game.  Perhaps I over think it. 

We are looking forward to another day in the this lovely little town of Karumba. One of our favourite spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment