Monday, June 14, 2021

It's all about the (sea)food....

We had a very enjoyable time in Hervey Bay for the lead-up to Marco's birthday.  As our holiday is drawing to an end we decided to indulge ourselves with a few good restaurant meals before making our way home.  The first meal we had was at the delightful Aquavue Cafe where we were given a table that looked out over the bay towards Fraser Island.  It was a gorgeous sunshiny day so it was the perfect venue.  As Hervey Bay is renowned far and wide for its seafood, in particular the Hervey Bay Scallops, we settled on a share Seafood Platter. 


The platter was made up of the freshest seafood including oysters, mornay scallops, fish cakes, calamari, battered fish and fries with a healthy salad on the side.  The two dipping sauces were to die for and complimented the seafood beautifully.  I'm not a great oyster lover but as Philip wouldn't touch them I decided to have a go. Oh....my......goodness.....they were everything that people say an oyster should be.  Plump, creamy and tasting of the ocean.  I'm now a devoted oyster eater but I do wonder if I will ever get to eat another as good. It took us a good while to get through this huge platter, but eat it we did!  We were very appreciative of the walk home, I can tell you.
The next day I made a lunch reservation at Cafe Baleana down on the Hervey Bay wharf.  It came with recommendations so I knew it was going to be another great meal.  



The menu here is extensive and it was difficult to chose a dish when confronted with so many choices but in the end I chose Scallops for entree and Chicken Supreme with a prawn and scallop sauce for main. Philip chose the seafood chowder for entree and a pasta dish for main.  The entree came to our table quite fast and they were delicious. The scallops were cooked to perfection and the butter and chorizo sauce that accompanied them was a perfect match.  Philip's chowder was also outstanding.  We all know how difficult it is to cook a seafood chowder when the different types of seafood have to be added at the right time so that none of it becomes overcooked and rubbery.  The chef certainly has it perfected. Every morsel of seafood was cooked to perfection.



As we were finishing the last mouthfuls of our entree our mains arrived!  A little too fast for my liking but I guess it's better than a long wait.  It was a bit of a shuffle though as the waitress tried to take away our entree plates and place our mains in front of us!  Once again this course could not be faulted.  When I first saw the size of my main I thought I would never be able to eat it all, but once again, eat it I did......



I sipped on a delicious Aperol Spritz during my meal and recalled the time we were on Lido Island in Italy doing the exact same thing. My cocktail complemented my little handbag don't you think...........


After our meal we strolled the short distance to the Hervey Bay Yacht Club Cinema.  Oh boy. It was such a great little theatre and I highly recommend it if you are in the area.  There are only two cinemas with just 50 very comfortable armchairs for you to lay back in and enjoy the movie.  Our movie choice was Wrath of Man.  It was a fast paced action movie with a bit of twist at the end.  I would give it 3.5 stars.

So that was our time spent in Hervey Bay.  I walked every day (my apple watch told me I walked 48 kms) and Philip cycled even further around the coastline.  One evening we did the touristy thing and walked the 800 metre Urangan Jetty for a bit of sunset photography but actually the best sunset photo was taken from the shore line. 


We love Hervey Bay and as Marco lives very close we will undoubtedly return for many more enjoyable stays.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment