Sunday, June 21, 2020

My new best friend

During the Covid lockdown we were staying at Coconut Grove Resort in Port Douglas.  It was a lovely apartment and thank goodness it had a decent kitchen because there was not a single restaurant opened while we were there. I do rather enjoy cooking when I have plenty of time and lets face it, time was something we all had heaps of during the lockdown.
I stumbled across a recipe in one of the magazines that was made in a pie maker and it looked so simple to make.  I have often looked at these electrical appliances and thought, not for me, even though I love a good pie.  It seemed such an extravagance (even though they are very cheap) and just another appliance that would probably gather dust in the bottom of the cupboard.
Anyway, I thought what the heck, and I went ahead and ordered one online from Myer.  They have one of the best online shops I have ever experienced because five days later I had it in my hot little hands.  I was completely surprised at how big the parcel was and was slightly disheartened to think that I might have purchased something too big and bulky to handle, but thankfully the box was mostly packaging and the pie maker is only the size of my sandwich press.
I was itching to try it out and ooh la laah, our first pies (Mexican mince) were sensational!  I used store bought shortcrust pastry for the base and puff pastry for the top.  I have never been a lover of store bought pastry but honestly the pies just tasted so good!
Since then the pie maker has been on high rotation in my kitchen.  It is fantastic to use up leftovers and you are not limited to the pastry you use.  I have seen recipes for phyllo pastry that I really want to try and today I made apple and custard "donuts".  I had run out of self raising flour so they didn't rise as much as they should have but they are 100% delicious.
So, my new best friend is the Sunbeam Pie Maker and if you don't own one I suggest you order one pronto. I can guarantee you will love it.
PS
I read later that Kmart also sell them at a very good price



Apple and Custard "Donut"

Just a simple chunky meat pie


No comments:

Post a Comment