Saturday, April 27, 2019

Heraklion, Crete

I find it hard to get my head around how long ago some of the places we have visited were built. Today we had a tour - in 3D- of Knossos.  This Palace built by the ruler Minos was thought to have been created around 1900 BC, that is almost 4,000 years ago!  The palace had between 1300 - 1500 rooms and in some places was up to five stories high.  It is set on a hill but can’t be seen from the sea.
Around 1700 BC it was destroyed by a massive earthquake and then re-built but a second disaster in 1450 BC saw it layed to rest.  It is thought that the second destruction was probably caused by conflict between the rulers of Crete. In 1878 excavations started and continue to this day.







As we commenced the 2 hour tour we were given tablets so that we could see in 3D what the palace would have looked like.  It must have been an amazing place to live if you were the ruler or his wife. For the slaves....not so great I’d imagine.  There were plenty of blood sports in those days with the slaves being the usual sacrifice.

After our tour of Knossos we were taken to the city centre of Heraklion for time on our own.  It was a hot day so ice cold beers and hot fries for us!




We only have two more nights left of our cruise and I just don’t want it to end and am begging Philip to take my on a world cruise.  I just love it.  “What would you like to eat Madam?” “What would you like to drink Madam?” “Can I service your room Madam?” “Let me hold that door for you Madam”
“You want a tour of the Galley, let me arrange that Madam”. How am I ever going to cook a meal or make my bed when we arrive home!
However, we still have more to do.  We have three days in Rome post cruise and then back to Egypt for a more intensive look. Unfortunately though it will be back to living out of a suitcase!
Today is a day at sea so more relaxing poolside with cocktail in one hand and book in the other.  It’s a great life....

No comments:

Post a Comment