Thursday, March 28, 2019

Myanmar Cultural Dinner and Show

The first tour we had booked in Myanmar was a dinner and show in Yangon.  The drive itself took an hour and a half through very heavy traffic but it was well worth it as we arrived at the Padonmar Restaurant where the colourful Chinese lanterns waved about in the open air dining area.  We were greeted with the gentle sound of music being played on instruments that I have never seen before.  

We were quickly seated at our long table and before you could say “I’m hungry” the food and drinks started arriving at our table. The menu was my favourite cuisine, Thai although to my taste it could have been a little spicier but I guess that they have to cater to all western tastes.


The Burmese (they have not come up with an “ese” word yet for Myanmar) compere entered the stage and introduced himself in his best American accent and asked us all “to give it up” for the performers. 
The dancers performed about seven different stories that were explained to us before they commenced.  It was enthralling to watch the females dance with their long trains.  They just keep flicking it around them and I imagine it would take a fair amount of practice.  The show and meal took about 2 hours and it was worth every bit of the long drive in and out of Yangon to get there.  I just know that I am going to love Myanmar.





No comments:

Post a Comment